Southwest Carpenters Welcome

and Alaska
Carpenters and Millwrights!

Welcome Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon and Alaska Carpenters and Millwrights!

Change is Coming

The Southwest Carpenters Trusts and the Carpenters Southwest Administrative Corporation (CSAC) are here to welcome you. CSAC is the Administrator for the Southwest Carpenters Trusts, currently serving approximately 80,000 Participants of the Health, Pension, Vacation, Annuity and Training Funds in the jurisdiction of the Western States Regional Council of Carpenters.

You can contact our professional staff Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST) by phone or email as follows:

(213) 386-8590
(800) 293-1370

During this transition, when contacting the Administrative Office please identify yourself as a participant from Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon or Alaska so our staff can better assist you with your questions.

Assistance is available in English and Spanish.

To the top
Health & Welfare

Southwest Carpenters Health & Welfare Trust

Carpenter labor agreements covering the jurisdiction of Eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Oregon and Alaska that required contributions to the Northwest Carpenters Health & Security Plan (Northwest Plan) in the past are now required to make contributions to the Southwest Carpenters Health & Welfare Trust (Southwest Trust).

As employer contributions are required by the labor agreement, working Participants will earn credit under the rules of the Southwest Trust going forward.

Participants will receive additional information in the mail regarding their new benefits as they become eligible on an ongoing basis.

Participants Transitioning to the Southwest Carpenters Health & Welfare Trust


Calendar Work Quarter Hours Earned Eligibility Quarter
January, February, March May, June, July
April, May, June August, September, October
July, August, September November, December, January
October, November, December February, March, April

Look for a packet in the mail with more information.

Work Hours and Reserve Bank

Initial eligibility for coverage is granted when:

Once you have initial eligibility, continued eligibility will be granted when:

If you work more than 360 hours in a calendar quarter, the excess hours will be credited to your reserve bank. The maximum reserve bank accumulation is 720 hours.


If you become disabled and are unable to work, you may be eligible to continue your health coverage with Disability Hours Credit. You must submit your Disability Hours Claim Form within 120 days of the date your disability began and meet the additional criteria to qualify for continuing eligibility.

See for information and the claim form.

* When participants have transitioned from the Northwest Trust, eligibility and work hours recorded in that plan may be used to satisfy the criteria for Disability Hours Credit. Contact the Administrative Office for assistance.

Hours Buy Back

Participants who lose eligibility due to a lack of reported work hours or reserve bank hours have the option to self-pay for up to 60 hours to meet the minimum number of reported hours to maintain eligibility for one quarter.

The following conditions apply:

If you qualify for the Hours Buy Back, a letter will be sent to your address on file with information regarding the number of hours required to keep eligibility for the next quarter and the amount due.

* When participants have transitioned from the Northwest Trust, eligibility and work hours recorded in that plan may be used to satisfy the criteria for Hours Buy Back. Contact the Administrative Office for assistance.


Participants should be aware that for those who live or work in the Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming areas, it may be possible to record hours within the jurisdiction of the Northwest Trusts and the Southwest Trusts without traveling too far.

For Participants in the following locals, the "Home Fund" for reciprocity purposes is the Southwest Trust.

Local 59
Local 1607
Local 635
Local 808
Local 82

The Southwest Trusts will also be the "Home Fund" for Participants working under the NWCCA Agreement in Washington unless the majority of their work hours are reported under other labor agreements that report to the Northwest Trust. Contact the Reciprocity Department or email for assistance.

Participants with an authorization on file for the transfer of Health & Welfare contributions from the Northwest Trust to an outside fund whose Labor Agreement was modified to direct employer contributions to the Southwest Trusts, should contact the CSAC Reciprocity Department at for instructions. Reciprocity Forms are available to submit in the MemberXG Document Center if the Southwest Trust is the Home Fund.

Enrollment and Plan Changes

At the time of the Transition

Participants transitioning from the Northwest Carpenters by their employment in a Master Labor Agreement, will not be required to provide plan enrollment documents or dependent information. The necessary enrollment information will be transferred from the Northwest Trust and Participants will automatically be enrolled into the Southwest Carpenters PPO Medical Plan with the same dependents that were enrolled previously in the Northwest Plan as of the required date.

The Southwest Trust does not offer coverage under Kaiser outside of California and Colorado. Kaiser plan participants in Oregon will be enrolled in the Southwest Carpenters Medical PPO Plan when they become eligible for coverage.

All participants enrolled in the PPO Medical Plan will be automatically enrolled in the UHC PPO Dental and the UHC Vision Plan.

To change your dental plan option from the PPO to the INO, you will be required to complete a new enrollment form within 30 days of your eligibility date.

The INO plan is not available in Idaho or Montana.

After the Transition

Once enrolled, Participants are permitted to change their dental plan at any time, as long as you have been enrolled on your current plan choice for a minimum of one year, by completing and returning a new enrollment form indicating your plan choice. The change is effective on the first day of the 3rd month following the month of request.

Adding Dependents

See for information regarding adding dependents.

PPO Medical

Type of Service Independence Active PPO Co-Pay
Preventative Care $0
Annual Deductible N/A (in network)
Office Visit/Specialist $15/$30 per visit
Diagnostic X-Ray or Lab $30 per visit
Chiropractor $15 per visit
(Limit 24 visits per year)
Hospital Admission $500 per admission
Outpatient Surgery $250 per surgery
Emergency Room $250 per visit
Urgent Care $50 per visit
Teladoc – Telemedicine Visit $5.00 per visit

These examples are for in-network providers only. For coverage of out-of-network providers, see your 2023 Health Plan Benefits "At a Glance", the Summary Plan Description (SPD) or the Summary of Benefits and Coverage (SBC).


Express Scripts

You will continue to receive your prescription drugs through Express Scripts. If you have a pre-authorization on file prior to your transition date, it will be transferred to your Southwest Carpenters PPO Plan.

Type of Drug Retail Network Pharmacy
(Up to a 30-Day Supply)
Mail Order Home Delivery or CVS Smart 90
Generic $10; $0 for prescription contraceptives $25; $0 for prescription contraceptives
Preferred Brand $40 $100
Non-preferred Brand $60 $150
Specialty $50 $100
Preferred/Non-Preferred Brand for Which There is a Generic Equivalent Available You will be charged the brand copayment, plus the difference in cost between the brand and the generic You will be charged the brand copayment, plus the difference in cost between the brand and the generic


Information About the UnitedHealthcare Dental Plans

Participants transitioning from the Northwest Carpenters will default to the Dental PPO, but may submit a new enrollment form to elect the Dental INO Plan (HMO). However, the Dental INO Plan is not available in Idaho or Montana.

Service Dental PPO In-Network Only (INO) Plan
(Dental HMO - Not available in Idaho or Montana)
Deductible $50/$150 $0
Preventive $0 $0
Filling 50% $5-$10
Porcelain Crown 50% $90
Root Canal 50% $15-$60
Orthodontic – Child* 50% 50%
Orthodontic – Adult* 50% 50%
Calendar Year Max $3,000 $5,000
Orthodonture covered to a lifetime maximum of $2000.

United Healthcare Dental Plan Details and Fee Schedules

Vision Coverage

Your Cost At A Glance

Service Frequency Price
Exam Once Every 12 Months $10 Copay
Lenses-Per-Pair Once Every 12 Months, Frames-Once Every 24 Months $20 Copay for Materials
Contact Lenses Once Every 12 Months Instead of Frames and Lenses, at the $20 Copay, You May Select Contact Lenses

ComPsych® Carpenters Assistance Program (CCAP)

The CCAP is a free, confidential program, available 24/7/365 to all eligible participants and family members who may be overwhelmed by life's challenges.

Call:  1-833-792-2271 (833.SWCCAP1)
Download the App: GuidanceNowSM

When you call or sign in through the App or Website, use the WEB ID: SWCCAP

Life Insurance

All actively eligible participants, are entitled to the following Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, regardless of medical plan choice or enrollment. COBRA participants are excluded.

Life Benefit AD&D Benefit
Participant $20,000 $5,000 - $20,000
Dependent (if enrolled) $3,000 $0
To the top
Retirement Benefits

Retirement Benefits

Southwest Carpenters Pension Trust
(Defined Benefit Plan)

Oregon Agreement Contributions (AGC, GCCA, & AWCC Master Area Agreements)

Beginning with the January 2024 work month, employer contributions and hours previously remitted to the Northwest Carpenters Retirement Plan are now required to divert to the Southwest Carpenters Pension Trust (Southwest Pension Plan). Participants of this transition will now earn credit under the rules of the Southwest Plan going forward.

Washington-Idaho-Montana Plan

As of January 1, 2023, Carpenter labor agreements that previously required contributions to the Washington-Idaho-Montana Carpenters-Employers Retirement Trust (WIM Plan), now require that contributions be made to the Southwest Carpenters Pension Trust (Southwest Plan). As employer contributions are made, Participants will earn credit under the rules of the Southwest Plan going forward.

NWCCA Agreement Contributions

Beginning with the August 2023 work month, employer contributions to the Southwest Carpenters Pension Trust are required under the Northwest Wall & Ceiling Contractors Association (NWCCA) Master Area Agreement in Washington.

Benefits under the Southwest Plan begin to accrue when 700 hours have been worked in the plan year. However, a modified schedule is applied in the first plan year to new employer groups who transition, subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.

See the modified schedule:

Benefit Accruals earned in the first year for new participating groups.
Accruals below assume an hourly contribution rate of $5.00 or more.

Hours Worked in Covered Employment During Calendar Year Benefit Accrual Rates for Agreements Beginning Jul/Aug Benefit Accrual Rates for Agreements Beginning Sep/Oct Benefit Accrual Rates for Agreements Beginning Nov/Dec
0-99 $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
100-199 $0.00 $0.00 $11.11
200-299 $0.00 $22.22 $22.22
300-399 $33.33 $33.33 $33.33
400-499 $44.44 $44.44 $44.44
500-599 $55.56 $55.56 $55.56
600-699 $66.67 $66.67 $66.67
700-799 $77.78 $77.78 $77.78
800-899 $88.89 $88.89 $88.89
900-999 $100.00 $100.00 $100.00
1,000-1,099 $111.11 $111.11 $111.11
1,100-1,199 $122.22 $122.22 $122.22
1,200-1,299 $133.33 $133.33 $133.33
1,300-1,399 $144.44 $144.44 $144.44
1,400-1,499 $155.56 $155.56 $155.56
1,500-1,599 $166.67 $166.67 $166.67
1,600-1,699 $177.78 $177.78 $177.78
1,700-1,799 $188.89 $188.89 $188.89
1,800-1,899 $200.00 $200.00 $200.00
1,900-1,999 $211.11 $211.11 $211.11
2,000-2,099 $222.22 $222.22 $222.22
2,100-2,199 $233.33 $233.33 $233.33
2,200 or more $244.44 $244.44 $244.44

Pension Credit and Vesting Under the Southwest Plan

Vesting in the Southwest Plan requires 5 Vesting Service Credits. A full Vesting Service Credit is earned in any year that you accumulate 1000 work hours or more. Generally, your vesting credit accumulated in the WIM Plan can be used to establish your vesting in Southwest Plan.

The calculation of Pension Credit value in the Southwest Plan is different than the WIM Plan. Accumulation of Pension Credit is based on hours worked in covered employment and the average hourly contribution rate for the calendar year with a minimum of 700 hours required earn a monthly benefit for that year.

As of 2021, the maximum monthly benefit earned under the Southwest Plan is $244 for 2200 hours in a calendar year at an average contribution rate greater than or equal to $5.00 per hour.

To learn more about how Pension Credits are earned and how their value is calculated, see:

Service Pension

A Service Pension is available through the Southwest Plan with an immediate, unreduced benefit based on years of service, not retirement age, when a Participant earns 30 years of Service Pension Eligibility Credits.

As of 2021, Service Pension Eligibility Credit is earned at the rate of 1/12 of a year for every 100 Hours Worked in Covered Employment to a maximum of 1 and 4/12 at 2200 hours.

Service under the WIM Plan may be counted toward a Service Pension, though the portion of the monthly benefit attributed to the WIM Plan may be reduced for early retirement according to the rules of the WIM Plan.


If you currently have an authorization on file for the transfer of your Pension contributions from the WIM plan to an outside fund, please contact the CSAC Reciprocity department at for instructions.

*Pension contributions on behalf of participants of the Oregon transition are now redirected to the Southwest Carpenters Trusts. Participants should revise any existing Reciprocity requests or authorizations on file with outside Trusts. To update Reciprocal Authorizations, complete and return a Reciprocity Authorization Form to

Merger of the WIM Plan

The WIM Plan has now merged with the Southwest Plan as of January 1, 2023. Benefits are now issued by the Southwest Plan. Benefits earned under the WIM Plan will continue to be updated according to the rules of the WIM Plan.

We anticipate that you will have questions about how this merger will affect your benefits. Here are answers to some of those common questions.

What has changed?

If you are a participant in the WIM Plan, the administrative office handling your pension has changed from Zenith Administrators in Spokane, Washington to the Carpenters Southwest Administrative Corporation (CSAC) in Los Angeles, California. This change is effective as of January 1, 2023.

What happens to the WIM Plan? Is it going away?

The WIM Plan is not going away. The WIM Plan has become part of the Southwest Plan but many of the provisions of the WIM Plan have remained largely the same. However, as of January 1, 2023, benefits are now issued under the Southwest Carpenters Pension Trust.

Is the Zenith Administrators office in Spokane closed?

No. However, Zenith has stopped supporting the WIM Plan and the Plan’s participants as of December 31, 2022.

I am a retiree currently receiving benefits from the WIM Plan. Do I need to do anything?

You will continue to receive your monthly benefit on or about the same time each month going forward in the same way that you do now, by check or direct deposit.

Annually, you will be required to complete a Pension Life Verification with a notarized signature to continue to receive your benefits.

However, if you were born after 1958, you will be required to respond to an annual questionnaire to verify that you are not engaged in Prohibited Employment while receiving your benefit. We will ask for a copy of your Federal Tax filing. In April 2023, we will send you a letter with complete instructions.

I am vested in the WIM Plan but I’m not working anymore. Will I still be eligible for benefits?

If you are a vested participant, you may apply to receive benefits as soon as you are eligible according to the rules of the WIM Plan. The merger does not affect your status as a vested participant in the WIM Plan or your accrued benefit.

See your Summary Plan Description (SPD) for details regarding your eligibility for retirement or early retirement.

I plan to retire soon. What do I need to do? Are there any new restrictions?

Applications for retirement effective through December 1, 2022 should be sent to Zenith Administrators. For retirements effective on or after January 1, 2023 should be sent to CSAC. CSAC will begin issuing payments to new retirees in March of 2023 that will include payments for January, February, and March.

Southwest Carpenters Annuity Fund

The Southwest Carpenters Annuity Fund is a Defined Contribution Retirement Plan that may help you build a secure retirement.

Becoming a Participant

You become a Participant in the Southwest Carpenters Annuity Plan when your employer makes the first contribution on your behalf. The following areas have bargaining agreements that require employer contributions to the Plan.

Employer Funded Contributions

Signatory employers make contributions required by a collective bargaining agreement on behalf of employees who perform covered work. The Plan does not accept Employee contributions or deferrals.

100% Vested from Day One

Contributions are always 100% vested. All of the money contributed by an employer, as well as any investment income generated, belongs entirely to you, the Participant.

Registration with Empower, the Plan's Recordkeeper

To register with Empower and access your account and direct investments, visit

MemberXG will display your employer contributions on the Work History screen, but Empower is your source for up-to-date information on your balance, including investment income or losses.

Investment Options

The plan offers a range of investment options. Target Date Investment funds, which are balanced based on the age you turn 62, are automatically selected for Participants who do not make other investment choices. However, if you are a "hands-on" investor, you can choose from various options to tailor your portfolio. Visit for information on the available options.

Tax-Deferred Income

Contributions and investment income are tax-deferred and only taxed when you make withdrawals.

Accessing Funds

While your Annuity balance belongs to you from the first contribution, it's important to understand that these funds are intended for retirement. Withdrawals are available under specific circumstances, including:

To the top
Southwest Carpenters Vacation Plan

Southwest Carpenters Vacation Plan

Carpenter labor agreements that required contributions for Vacation in the past will instead require that contributions are made to the Southwest Carpenters Vacation Trust for the Southwest Carpenters Vacation, Sick Leave and Paid Time Off Plan (VSLPTO Plan) as follows:

Benefits earned in a prior vacation plan remain payable from that plan and any balances located with the Qualstar Credit Union are not affected by the transition.

For more information, visit:

Regular Payment on December 1st of each year.

The Regular Payment of VSLPTO benefits to eligible and enrolled Participants for the Plan Year is automatically made on December 1st of each year by check or direct deposit (when verifiable banking information has been submitted). No Request form is required in order to receive the annual December payment. Other options for withdrawal during the year are outlined below.

This distribution will cover contributions for the work months beginning with September of the prior year through August of the current year.

*Participants transitioning under the NWCCA agreement in August 2023 will be eligible to receive contributions for that work month on the December 1st Payment.

Options for Early Withdrawal
(Direct Deposit Only)

*Participants transitioning under Oregon agreements with work hours reported for January 2024 and/or February will be eligible to receive contributions for those work months in the July 1st Early Withdrawal. You must be opted in to receive the July distribution and all forms listed below are due by June 1st to receive a July 1st distribution, otherwise funds are distributed on December 1st.

Forms to Complete and Return:

Forms can be completed through the MemberXG portal or emailed to For assistance on creating a MemberXG account, please see Member Portal Logon details below or contact the CSAC Administrative Office at (213) 386-8590 or (800) 293-1370.

*The waiting period for new participants to request an On Demand Withdrawal has been waived for Participants who have transitioned from the Northwest Trust.

To the top
Member Portal

Member Portal


Plan Participants are able to access their personal benefit information and work history through the MemberXG Portal.



To create your account, go to the MemberXG page ( and choose Create Account or the + symbol in the upper right corner. Then follow the instructions.

You will be required to enter the following information to create an account:

* Must match the information in the CSAC system to continue.

If you are not able to create an account, contact the Administrative Office for assistance.

Once you have created an account, a security code will be sent to your email address and you will need to enter that code into MemberXG. Be sure you can access both your internet browser and your email.

To the top
For More Information

For More Information

Contact the Fund Office

Monday-Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm (PST) at:

(213) 386-8590
(800) 293-1370

Assistance is available in English and Spanish.

Carpenters Southwest Administrative Corporation
533 South Fremont Avenue
Los Angeles, California 90071

To the top